When the Polar Vortex starts whistling down your neck of the woods, here are some great tips to ensure you stay warm in the freezing cold.
1. DRINK HOT DRINKS. Hot drinks warm you up. Sip on hot cider, herbal teas and hot toddies. I like to make a caffeine-free, alcohol-free homemade spicy cider to keep the arctic monkeys at bay. It’s so easy to do and costs pennies a cup. In a crock-pot of water, slice up some apples or carrots and toss in whatever berries you have on hand. I like to use frozen cranberries and blueberries. Then grate in some fresh ginger and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon. Set the crock-pot to on low, put a lid on it, and you always have a soothing beverage on hand.
2. WEAR A HAT. Yes, it might crush your perfect hairstyle, but wearing a hat keeps in 20% of your body heat, so make headgear a part of your winter style. Hats can dress up or down an outfit and make you stand out in a crowd. And they’re not just for outdoors – indoor hats can keep you feeling toasty in even the draftiest of offices. Search out unusual and funky hats which position you as a fashion trail blazer. Wear them on a jaunty angle and with a kick in your step, and soon you’ll be starting a ‘hatte’ new trend among your friends.
3. WATCH TROPICAL TV SHOWS. When it’s cold outside, sitting down to an episode of SURVIVOR, BUYING HAWAII, or HAWAII 5-0, gets you feeling mellow, happy, tropical paradise thoughts. Stick your feet in a hot vibrating foot soaker and you can almost imagine the warm ocean flowing through your toes.
4. STEAM UP THE SHOWER. If you feel you caught a chill, one of the best things to do is to take a SUPER-HOT shower. Crank up the furnace to warm up the house and blast the shower on SCALDING HOT to warm up the shower stall. When the bathroom is nice and steamy go in and thaw out under the SPRAY until you feel thoroughly warm and melted. Dry off with big fluffy towels and wrap yourself in a spa bathrobe until you are completely dry and comfortable.
5. GET COOKING! The winter is a great time to indulge in all your favorite comfort foods or to try out some bold new recipes you’ve always craved. And spending time ‘slaving away over a hot stove’ lol is a great way to warm yourself up! Why not try making something spicy and decadent like THAI COCONUT CURRY SOUP. Combine the luscious creaminess of coconut milk with lemongrass, lime leaves, spicy curry, ginger and tender sliced chicken to make a heavenly soup that will warm your soul. Sip on this while pondering these other tips, and you will soon be radiantly warm – both inside and out.